More Serious Than You Think – Injury from Parking Lot Car Accidents
We have all seen or heard of car accidents occurring in parking lots across Southwest Florida. Maybe you have even been involved in a parking lot car accident. With the slower speed of vehicles in parking lots you would think that auto accidents wouldn’t happen; however, parking lot automobile accidents, personal injuries and even parking lot accident fatalities are more common than you may think. According to the National Safety Council, or NSC, over 50,000 motor vehicle crashes occur in garage structures or parking lots each year. These parking lot crashes result in more than 60,000 injuries and over 500 deaths annually. With the hustle and bustle during the holiday season, parking lots tend to become more dangerous. While you and your family are out during this holiday season and always, please remember to follow some parking lot safety tips.
Avoid Parking Lot Car Accidents – Safety Steps
- Drive your vehicle slowly in all parking lots and parking garage structures
- Follow the lanes and do not cut across lots and empty parking spaces
- Always be alert and anticipate the actions of others to avoid parking lot accidents
- Watch out for stop signs and no parking signs
- Always look both ways and double check when backing your vehicle out of a parking space. Watch for other vehicles and pedestrians in the parking lot.
- Be on the lookout for small children and parents pushing carts or baby strollers.
- Watch for blind spots and don’t always rely on backup monitoring systems to avoid backing into someone in a parking lot.
- Avoid distracted driving. No phone calls, texting or eating while parking, backing up or driving through parking lots.
Other Causes of Personal Injury in Parking Lots
While a parking lot car crash sounds like the main cause for parking lot injuries, automobile crashes are not the sole cause of parking lot injuries. Trips or “slip and falls” are also common causes of minor or serious bodily injuries in parking lots. Many times, inadequate lighting, uneven pavement, potholes, debris or lack of signage can cause pedestrian injuries.
If You Have Been Injured in a Parking Lot Accident, Protect Your Rights! Call a Local Personal Injury Attorney from Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice & Purtz, P.A..
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a parking lot automobile accident and have sustained injuries or death due to a parking lot trip or slip and fall, it is important to seek advice from local attorneys experienced with Southwest Florida personal injury cases. The attorneys at Goldstein, Buckley, Cechman, Rice and Purtz have over 50 years of experience with personal injury cases and we are here to represent you. Serving Southwest Florida’s legal needs in six locations conveniently located in: Fort Myers (2 to serve you), Naples, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres and Port Charlotte. Contact the office nearest you and set up your appointment for a free consultation today.